Monday, July 18, 2011

A super-cool Son Rise friend visited Aditya!

William (senior Son Rise program teacher) came to see Aditya on parents' request.   We were really touched by his gesture of flying coast-to-coast to come meet his 6 year old special friend!

On a more serious note, this was our very first "outreach" with any Son Rise program teacher/consultant.  And it helped us beyond our wildest expectations!

His biggest gift to us... he brought to our attention how rigid we can sometimes get as grown ups, while working on a specific goal with our child... insisting that he worked on it in a certain way... and not recognizing that he just did it in another way.  For example....  when I went in with picture cards containing various animals, working on the goal of "inspiring A to ask questions to know more about a person" I casually told him how I do not actually like monkeys, even if that is the animal that surprises me the most.

A asked why I don't like monkeys.

My response... that's a new question. Which one should I answer? The "why I don't like chimps" or the question about "why they surprise me".

In reality, to ask me why I do not like chimps is TO ASK ME SOMETHING TO KNOW MORE ABOUT ME AS A PERSON.

Once William noticed this and told me, a light bulb turned on in our minds, and we could instantly see just how much A is actually ready to use his social skills... provided we ourselves become more flexible, and provide him with opportunities... and pauses so he can use them!

Thanks a ton William!

No comments:

Post a Comment