Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I have no friends in school (and I want to make friends)!

Aditya has been going to school almost everyday, and seems to really enjoy listening to whatever is taught in the class.  (Since I have personally volunteered in his class a couple of times now,  I can see this when he comes home and tells Mom about what happened.)

On the other hand,  he is probably not enjoying not being able to "relate" to any of the other kids.  From what I have seen in class/ on the playground, he is very accepting of another child(ren) in his space... but he is not reaching out to, or "inviting" them.

What's really cool is... one day he said: "I don't have any friends in school.  I feel like making friends, but I don't know how".  Strictly speaking I am paraphrasing what his Mom told me, but whatever words he chose, THIS IS yet another HUGE step,   we think.

He does not have the tools (i.e. the social skills such as reading and understanding body language of a super-fast talking 6 year old) to make a friend... and this is something we frankly do expect right now (although we also firmly believe it is a matter of time when he "gets" how to do this).

But he actually WANTS to have a 6 year old friend now!  He was at first believed not to "love" the company of any human being.  Once in his Son Rise program,  he was loving his "grown up" volunteer friends, but avoiding other kids.  A little more recently, he only began to "tolerate" kids around him.  

And now,  here he is... longing that he had someone in his class he could call a friend.

We are elated, and yet another time.... re-energized... about "hanging out" with Aditya in his Son Rise playroom, where he will play with us to "get" the super-cool and mysterious craft also known in the neuro-typical world as "making friends".

No comments:

Post a Comment