Friday, February 10, 2012

Physical activity!

Begining January, Aditya started attending Gymnastic classes on Saturday Mornings. His sister has her class at the same time, in the adjoining hall. She has been doing gym classes for a couple years now. All kids love climbing the tree outside, and they line up as soon as class is done. Aditya had shown no interest in climbing the tree till last year. He tried last summer, but could not (I guess that he might not have been physically up to it, but I could be wrong)

This time around, he really wanted to climb and asked me for help. After helping him a couple times, I encouraged him to try it by himself. When he was reluctant, I helped him. After one particular class, sister was having a bad day and chose to be unhappy about something she couldn't control. I wanted to be with her and A wanted to climb the tree. He made a choice to go all by himself while I sat at a distance, talking to sister. And guess what, he asked another mom for help and climbed up! He had such a big boost in self confidence that he tried it over and over again, by himself and mastered it.
Now he gets in line behind the other kids and eagerly awaits his turn.

While volunteering on the playground, I encouraged him to use the monkey bars, which he reluctantly did, and has now mastered.

No comments:

Post a Comment