Sunday, April 15, 2012

Surprise!

Every time either of us has been to Option for week long classes, we got something for the kids from the small shop on campus. This time around, we decided to get the kids something they really wanted .. before Dad left.

On our way to pick up sister from school on Thursday, I casually asked Aditya what he thought of going to Target after getting her. I least expected him to be okay with it, as he had had a long day. But he was actually excited about getting her a present. I said to him,"I would like to get her something she has really wanted for some time now."
"That should be legos!"
"Wow! You are a mind reader! How about we surprise her?"
"Sure! I promise to keep it a surprise."
As we started out, she was wondering why I was taking a different road home. As I told her that I wanted to go some place before going home, she began guessing where I might be headed.
"Library?"
Giggles and a head shake from brother.
"Gymnastics for a make up class? "
Giggles again.
"I hope we are not going grocery shopping!"
"Not today", said Aditya.
As I pulled into the parking lot at Target, she was really curious as to why we were there. I then told her about our decision to get the kids a gift. She was overjoyed and curious as to what it would be. As we walked into the kids section, she finally lost it and said, "Please! Clothes is not a gift I want."
Aditya: "Keep walking straight and turn right towards the toys"
After a nod from me, he finally blurted, "You are getting LEGOS!"
It was amazing to see how far he has come. This boy hated surprises and could barely understand what a  secret meant, not long ago.
As for his gift, Dad ordered something online for him. It was expected to be delivered on Friday but the shipment never arrived. He was totally fine and hoped to get it Saturday morning. When it hadn't arrived by mid day, he finally broke down into tears. On calling UPS, we realized that it would not be delivered till Monday. He was pretty upset on hearing this and got anxious about their intentions. But he was super excited when we told him what he was getting ..his surprise was ... a half size guitar of his own!
We had been seeing him try and tune his toy Ukulele, which we got when he was 3. He actually tuned it and taught me how to play "Do Re Me Fa .. " and also managed a verse or two from a couple other songs. We were stunned .. if he could fix that piece of junk and play a song on it, he certainly deserved a better instrument!

No comments:

Post a Comment