Monday, April 24, 2017

Simplifying it for you, Aai!

Basketball season is on! League practices, league games, school practices, school games, evening practices, weekend games... phew! We are all breathing and living basketball in the house. Both kids practice every evening at the neighborhood school and come home to tell me their stories. I have never been into basketball and didn't really get a lot of terms they used. But I was the most enthusiastic listener they could have. Since I asked some of the most basic questions over and over, they gave me a detailed drawing of the court and positions, asking me to study it.

Yesterday, Aditya was telling me how he wanted to get better by the next season so he could be the shooting guard.
Me: "Why don't you like being the post?"
A: "Too much work and no credit!"
Me: "What does that mean?"
A: "I don't think you really understand the positions, do you?"
Me: "Well, I studied the diagram!"
A: "That is not really understanding what happens on court! Let me explain in a way you can understand!
Do you remember how we went to your friend's house in India last year? Her maid did all the work chopping veggies, grinding masala, making rotis while your friend chatted with you. Then Aunty went inside, made the tadka, garnished food with coriander leaves and served lunch. She got the credit for the sumptuous lunch while the poor maid didn't get any credit.
Similarly, the post does all the work in basketball, but the Shooting guard gets all the credit!"

Hmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment