Thursday, October 22, 2009

Attitude...

Yesterday, a discussion with another parent about our Sonrise program and (what seemed to be) sensory issues, was so compelling that I decided to write about our experience.

One of Aditya's challenges since he was a baby: Clipping nails. I remember trying to deal with this issue in various ways: reason, beg, bribe, command, ignore... were we tired! After reading more about the Son-Rise program, I decided to deal with this in an entirely different way. I wanted to see if the attitude change really did work for us. So...

Once while clipping his sis's nails, I casually told Aditya that it was OK to not clip his nails if he didn't wish to. He was surprised. He kept asking me if his nails weren't long enough, if there was no dirt under them, if there were no germs inside, if he wouldn't have a tummy ache if he bit on them ... everything I had tried telling him. So his nails grew for more than a month. We went through the same set of questions everytime he saw any of us clipping our nails.

and FINALLY.. one fine morning, he came to me and said,"I want to tell you something, Mommy.. can you clip my nails today?"

"???"

"Yes, can you clip my nails?"

"Well, only if you want to. It hurts me to see you cry."

"I am a big boy now. I promise to not cry today."

And he didn't! It has been two months today and I clip his nails only when he asks me to. Initially it was once every couple of weeks, but now it is every few days!

Hurray!
An elated mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment