Saturday, October 3, 2009

He is changing!

Ever since I did the Son-Rise startup program at Option Institute, we pretty much stopped taking Aditya out into the hurly burly of shopping malls, restaurants, parties, etc. Actually, we didn't know it until now, but thanks to his newly acquired assertiveness, he clearly told us he would much rather stay home and play than go to any of these (crazy) places.

Today, we decided one of us had to go to Ikea and get some stuff in order to setup his Son Rise playroom. He over-heard the talk, and suggested he wanted to go, as Ikea is a place he likes, I guess, this is because he loves the Play Area there which has lots of sensory toys (e.g. things for sitting in and rotating, rocking on, jumping on, etc). Even as I knew this does not necessarily mean he is going to enjoy the "shopping" experience, we decided I would go with him today. We would avoid taking Shreya (his twin sister) to avoid conflicts ("should we do this now or that?")... instead Shreya would get special time at home with her mom.

The young man I saw today at Ikea was a different man from the last time we have been there. Without delay (as I am way too excited about this) I want to talk about the amazing things he did today.

1)
Last visit: I want to play (as soon as we entered IKEA)
Today: "If you want we can go play".
I say: "Yeah, I want to go to, right after we buy a rug here for your playroom"
Aditya: "Yeah, then if you want to go we can go play"

2)
Last visit: I want to eat Mac and Cheese (right after leaving the play area at IKEA)
Today: I am hungry (also after playing at IKEA)

3)
A year ago, on seeing a 6 month old baby: "Her hands are small and her feet are small too."
Today: "That's a small baby." .... AFTER A MINUTE... "She is cute!"
I am blown away, and ask: WHO IS CUTE?
Aditya: The Baby

4) Aditya: I shared the slide with the baby. Say YAAAAY. (I immediately say YAAAAY)

5) Aditya: Hey, this is a noisy place. Can we go? (I say "of course", and we get out of that particular section... then I realized I was hating that section too:-))

6) Aditya: (About our last visit) There were too many people in the family restroom so went in the triangle (men's) restroom. We did not use the dryer, we used tissues. (NOTE: Aditya is scared of dryers. He probably hates the sensation of a blast of hot air combined with the loud noise.)
I ask: That's right Aditya!
Aditya: So we will go to the triangle restroom and use the tissues.
I ask: Sure. You want to go now?
Aditya: Yes.

We go, and do our business as usual. A man uses the dryer as Aditya washes his hands. Aditya looks behind, then turns around and continues washing. The man continues to use the dryer. Aditya turns around again and says: "He is using the dryer."
(A year ago, he would scream and ask to be taken away from the dryer, if at all he entered a restroom with a dryer in it. On our last visit to any restroom with a dryer, he would immediately go and tell the dryer "Hello Dryer, we will not use you. We will use tissues." and "Bye bye dryer" in the end.)

Is this true? Is this majic? Or is it just the power of an "option"??? I don't know the answer, but I bet Aditya does!

No comments:

Post a Comment