Monday, April 11, 2011

Will you accept me? I say "I don't want something when I want something but do not get it"

Last week was one of the most memorable weeks of each of our lives.  Aai (Mommy) went and attended the week long "Maximum Impact" advanced training program at the Option Institute in Sheffield, MA.  I am sure she learned a lot over there, all while having lots of fun.

Back at home, it was DaMmy (how my daughter dubbed my double role of Daddy and Mommy) and the twins, spending six awesome days and nights together!

On one of those days, we went to Happy Hollow Park and Zoo.  This is not a highly recommended thing to do with a child with autism, as it can be very overwhelming, noisy, over-crowded, and unpredictable in a place such as a zoo or a park with rides.  I still went with them, as it was a bright and sunny day, and no volunteers slated to come home to play with Aditya.

Must say Aditya did well in general, picking up on his lost touch with riding and climbing!  He had a tough time waiting in lines though, and could not figure out why sister wanted to spend MINUTES petting a goat?  (Interestingly, he did pet the goat after watching her and protesting to leave for 5 minutes.)

Anyways, back to the rides where there was always a wait of a few minutes, but not more than 10 minutes, as it was a week day.

"I don't want to go on this ride" was his response every minute that he could see he was having to wait in the line.  "The ride will never start" was his response when he did finally sit in the ride, but everyone else was still getting ready and fastening their belts.  "We will stay in the petting zoo forever" he said when sister was busy petting the goat and not willing to leave the place so we could get on one of the rides.

At one point he had a real melt down and began crying.  It was definitely a reality check for me.... I did not go there with him to put him under so much stress.  (Often a point others do not understand when they question why we do not take our son out to do things any 6 year old would love to do!)

However, a few minutes into his melt down, he said the most mind-blowing of things he has ever said to me.

"When I say I don't want something I mean to say I want it but that I don't think I will get it." He said in clear English, still crying.  Then he asked: "Will you accept me saying it?"

I was touched, and could not help but feel moist in my eyes.  And yet, I felt incredibly proud about him!

1 comment:

  1. That's beautiful. What a uniquely insightful and articulate boy you have, Abhi. I'm lucky to know all of you!

    ReplyDelete